TheLead.com is compiling the top 5 stories of the day from around the web. This is your one stop shop to quickly catch up on the most important news every morning. So grab a cup of coffee and check out TheLead’s 5 biggest headlines at 10 a.m.
- Hurricane Irma: Nearly half of Florida in the dark, Tampa takes pounding – Fox News
- After days of hitting Florida, Irma is now weakening while it turns towards Georgia. The damage has been done, however, as millions of Floridians are without power.
- North Korea threatens ‘pain and suffering’ ahead of UN sanctions vote – CNN
- The U.N. Security Council is expected to vote on harsher sanctions against North Korea, including an oil embargo. If passed, North Korea has promised to make the United States pay a high price.
- Portland police arrest seven in latest Antifa aimed at Patriot Prayer – The Washington Times
- Although Patriot Prayer moved their event out of Portland to avoid violence, Antifa members still rioted, throwing rocks and smoke bombs at police.
- Trump readies for first 9/11 commemoration as President – NBC News
- For the first time in his presidency, President Trump will preside over memorials for the victims of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.
- Police: At least 8 dead after shooting in North Texas – ABC News
- 8 people, including the suspected gunman, are dead after a party in Plano, Texas turned violent. Police do not yet know the motive.