Austin Texas has registered yet another explosion last night, this time injuring two young men, 22 and 23 years of age. The two men survived the blast but sustained serious injuries and will remain in stable condition at this time. The explosion only coming hours after Police Chief Brian Manley, called for the serial bomber to come forward to turn themselves in, or, reach out to police to understand why he/she are doing this. Investigators fear the latest explosion device displayed by the bomber, could be the potential response.
"We are clearly dealing with what we expect to be a serial bomber," Austin police chief Brian Manley says.
Asked whether spate of bombings constitutes domestic terror, Manley says investigators are seeking to determine "if we see a specific ideology behind this." pic.twitter.com/nfWhFX9mBR
— ABC News (@ABC) March 19, 2018
“We are clearly dealing with what we what we expect to be a serial bomber at this point, based on the similarities between now what is the fourth device,” said Brian Manley.
Upon examination of the blast area, investigators were able to confirm that the two victims either stepped on or walked through a tripwire, while passing down a sidewalk in a residential neighborhood, causing the device to trigger and detonate. The construction of an explosive device of this magnitude requires a great deal of skill and sophistication, making law enforcement realize the severity of the serial bomber’s capabilities.
I am asking our community to pay close attention to any suspicious device whether it be a package, a bag, a backpack or anything that looks out of place, DO NOT approach it! Call 9-1-1 immediately! Also remember DO NOT move, touch or open unexpected/suspicious packages! pic.twitter.com/jvyVB5I7SX
— Chief Brian Manley (@chief_manley) March 19, 2018
“Whom responsible has a higher level of sophistication, a higher level of skills” than previously suspected, we are more concerned now. That is, people see something suspicious they stay away and contact law enforcement.” Said Chief Brian Manley.
This latest bombing has shown that the suspect has possibly shifted directions or methods than previously recorded, specifically dealing with his possible motives behind the bombings.
Map of Austin Bombings including today pic.twitter.com/XxXHRI6N9E
— Jack Posobiec 🇺🇸 (@JackPosobiec) March 19, 2018
“So this does change the concerns that we had initially although we have still not ruled it out until we understand what the ideology and motive are behind the suspect or suspects,” said Austin’s Police Chief.
The past bombings were intended to target individuals, this bombing showed elevated levels of prior planning and precise execution. Previous devices were suspected to only target minorities in poverty-stricken areas, this device claimed victim of two white males in a wealthy area west of the interstate dividing line.
“We were surprised because it all had been concentrated on that side of town, in lower-income neighborhoods but this is a real, nice neighborhood, nice homes, everything from retired people to professional people,” he said. “It’s a pretty crime-free neighborhood.” Said Thad Holt, a nearby neighbor.
The total reward amount for information leading to the arrest & conviction of person/s responsible for #packagebombmurders is 115k. Please contact @Austin_Police at (512) 472-tips (8477) with any details. We need your help! https://t.co/Y2e5SJQMBY
— Chief Brian Manley (@chief_manley) March 18, 2018
With this being Austin’s fourth explosion due to the serial bomber, authorities said they will provide a reward for information leading to an arrest. The original amount was $50,000, now growing to an amount of $115,000. Over 500 officers have now been assigned to the case, including FBI special agents that will be tasked with conducting interviews and following up on leads.
Pray for Austin.